Saturday, March 27, 2010

Extended Stay Accommodations in Duluth?

I will visiting family in Duluth/Hermantown over the Thanksgiving holidays. Can anyone suggest a place where we can stay affordably for a week to ten days?



Extended Stay Accommodations in Duluth?


Don%26#39;t hesitate to negotiate a price with any hotel manager in Duluth or bed and breakfast location in Duluth. It is a small town and I am sure people would love to have someone over the slow Thanksgiving weekend. I worked for a major company that ended up going under and they had someone in Duluth who was there the whole 4 weeks while the store went out of business. He negotiated $30 a night at a hotel across from the Miller Hill Mall in Duluth. That was awhile back but, it pays to ask!



Extended Stay Accommodations in Duluth?


I would agree it is worth your while to at least call/email and ask for a discount - worst they can say is no. That said, being in hotels in a former work life I can tell you holidays are often quiet in hotels (at least in my experience). In the hotels I worked, people are not typically traveling for work and leisure visits tend to be with family (where they often stay vs. a hotel). This may be especially true in a city such as Duluth that, while still a city of about 80,000 (if I remember correct), is a cold one with not as much tourist draw in November.





Smaller hotels, B%26amp;B%26#39;s, may have more desire to rent at a lower rate if you are going to stay for 10 days. You may want to even suggest a prepay, no refund rate. In this way, the hotel has more assurance you%26#39;ll carry through on your end of the deal and not be holding a room to the last minute.




By the way, as far as specific hotels I%26#39;ve stayed and my thoughts, I%26#39;ve stayed at three in Duluth over the years: Holiday Inn, Sheraton Duluth, and what is now the Edgewater Resort (used to be a Best Western). All were fine, not sure what they can do on rate. I%26#39;d guess the Edgewater might be the most flexible, Sheraton least flexible. H-Inn and Edgewater have laundry from what I remember, restaurants onsite or near. Not sure on fridges/kitchenettes.




I%26#39;ve stayed at most of the hotels in Duluth, but my most memorable stays were in cottages. If you%26#39;re looking for something homier (where YOU can entertain, if you want), check out the Hillside Cottage, not far from downtown (large whirlpool, whimsically decorated, sleeps a lot of people), and Cottage on the Point on Park Point (beach, gas fireplace). They%26#39;re both lovely and have nice owners.



There are many other cottages/houses available for rent, and I%26#39;m sure you can get a very good deal for an extended stay at that time.





Beth at MidwestWeekends.com

No comments:

Post a Comment