Saturday, March 27, 2010

Honeymoon in Duluth August 27 - 29th

I am looking to plan our 1st honeymoon in Duluth, any suggestions for hotels greatly appreciated. Looking for secluded and we don%26#39;t neseciarly have to be in Duluth, open to other cities around the Duluth area or even farther north. Thanks!





Honeymoon in Duluth August 27 - 29th


I am a big fan of BlueFin Bay, and that whole area for hiking, waterfalls, and state parks.





http://www.bluefinbay.com/





www.americasnorthcoast.org/index-summer.php







Hit me up if you want any hiking trail suggestions.



Honeymoon in Duluth August 27 - 29th


Duluth has some pearl B and Bs. I have a few friends who have raved about AG Thompson House, which was a little bit above my budget range for my recent stay in Duluth.





http://www.thomsonhouse.biz/guestRooms/





Those scream honeymoon to me. Private bath, whirlpool, etc.





My recent stay I spent at Ellery House, which is not as lavish but has a ton of charm. You%26#39;ll never have a better breakfast at a hotel/BandB in your life. Look at the Daisy Suite -- which has attached sun room and views of the lake and separate room fro bathroom with tub. I loved everything about it. But I think AG Thompson may have higher end amenities for a honeymoon. Depends on what your budget is. Many honeymooners want that whirlpool. Ellery House doesn%26#39;t have it. But they do have most everything else. (Not many places supply comlimentary port and sherry at the end of a night).





Also look at Olcott House, specifically the Carriage House (not a room but a separate house on the grounds!)





Also, two friends raved about their recent honeymoons at Larsmont Cottages, north of Duluth toward Two Harbors. Unlike the aforementioned places, this place is right on the water. And there is something to be said for that.





Make sure to look at all those places. They all have their own style.




Here is a house rental which looks awesome!





http://www.cyberrentals.com/rental/p303137




Do you mean ';honeymoon'; or ';anniversary';?





I%26#39;m still a big advocate for Sweetgrass Cove in Grand Portage... the best place I%26#39;ve ever stayed on the North Shore. It%26#39;s north of Grand Marais... much more romantic %26amp; quiet than Duluth, in my opinion. I guess it depends on what you%26#39;re looking for.





BTW, they fill up quickly... so East Bay Suites would be my backup lodging.




creason, i was wondering the same thing -- ';first honeymoon.'; I was going to say I%26#39;m either really jealous or there%26#39;s a typo in there somewhere.




I am also a big fan of Bluefin Bay.




My bad! I mean anniversary! I don%26#39;t know where my head was when I was writing my first post!





Thanks for all the feedback.





I am going to check them all out. Just to clarify, we are looking for secluded, but still near enough restaurants and places for outdoor activities to do in the day like hiking, biking or maybe even kayaking.




We were all jealous for a while! FYI, Sweetgrass Cove is 22 miles N of Grand Marais, East Bay Suites is in the main business area of downtown.




I%26#39;ve stayed at Superior Shores in Two Harbors, which is just a short drive north of Duluth, and it was wonderful. We booked a romance package, which included chocolates, champagne, dinner at the restaurant, and a wonderful suite, that included a kitchen and large jacuzzi tub. It%26#39;s only about 20 minutes from Duluth to do activities there, but very quite, near hiking trails, and I believe kayaks were even available at the resort as well. I thought the price was reasonable for all of this, but we didn%26#39;t go quite in peak season. Otherwise in Duluth itself, you can%26#39;t go wrong with Canal Park hotels (though not secluded, and they are pricey in peak season).




My roommate works at the Canal Park Lodge... pretty spiffy place! Then again, most hotels on the Canal park strip are pretty nice - a great location, right on the lake walk. A little spendy, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment