Monday, December 12, 2011

Cozy snowy getaway for one?

I want to plan a trip for Valentine%26#39;s Day. I assume from past experience that my husband will be working so I%26#39;ll be on my own. I promised myself last Valentine%26#39;s Day (%26amp; the one before that, %26amp; the one before...) I would be somewhere special for VDay 2009. Here%26#39;s what I want:





-Snow



-Fireplace



-Cozy comfy bed



-Good simple food that%26#39;s not too expensive



-Maybe learn to cross-country ski (or something else I can show off about when I get home)





I live on the east coast %26amp; wouldn%26#39;t mind flying (although I%26#39;d prefer not to have to spend 7 hours on a plane). I could also take the train or drive (but I prefer not to drive). I have my passport %26amp; wouldn%26#39;t mind Canada.





My trip doesn%26#39;t have to be in MN. I%26#39;ve heard of Lutsen Resort %26amp; thought maybe that would be a good choice.





I don%26#39;t drink alcohol at all %26amp; I don%26#39;t downhill ski (not really interested in returning home with a cast on a limb). I love to read %26amp; don%26#39;t mind playing Scrabble or board games with other travelers.





Gosh that whole thing above makes me sound boring! Thanks for your help though.



Cozy snowy getaway for one?


I would think many of the lodges along the North Shore of Lake Superior or on the Gunflint Trail would fit the bill.





There are lots of areas around the cities that would fit the bill - let me know if that interests you as the list would be totally different.





Grand Marais (5 hours N, could fly to Duluth OR MSP) is a wonderful little oasis: Sweetgrass Cove, East Bay Suites, Nanabijou Lodge





Lutsen (just south of GM) is a great location - check out Lutsen.com and look at their packages without skiing (downhill). Many of the properties are right on the lake.





My co-worker loves the Gunflint Lodge (just NW of GM)and they have lots of options for singles, couples and families.



Cozy snowy getaway for one?


I agree with Creason that the north shore is your best bet for a Minnesota destination. The old Lutsen Resort on Lake Superior would be perfect with good food, huge fireplaces, plenty of lake effect snow, and multiple lodging options. They also have all the equipment for cross country skiing and spectacular trails with views of the lake. You can change flights to Duluth and drive 90 minutes, or get a car in Minneapolis and take the four hour drive. That might actually be faster depending on connections.





The Lutsen area is better for your interests than other spots in Minnesota because it does offer downhill skiing. Even if you are not interested, the skiers keep the restaurants open and a little buzz in the community.




Ahhh too late. I was going to suggest the original lodge at Lutsen too. I%26#39;ve only been there in the summer, but pretty and cozy.





As a closer, maybe cheaper alternative, look at Craguns outside of Brainerd:http://craguns.com/




Great suggestions.. I really like the suggestion of the Old Lodge at Lutsen. Walking in there just makes you feel cozy! I also like Bluefin Bay... I think that fits the criteria.




If I were a woman traveling alone, and often I am, I wouldn%26#39;t want to go to a downhill ski resort -- they%26#39;re all families and party groups that drink a lot. If you want to do something really special this Valentine%26#39;s Day, I%26#39;d sign up for Book Across the Bay, which is a 10-kilometer ski or snowshoe tour across Chequamegon Bay of Lake Superior in Wisconsin. It%26#39;s lighted by ice luminaries, and at the end there are fireworks, a bonfire, blues music and a chili feed, very convivial for one person, and it costs a big 15 bucks, www.batb.org. There are a lot of cozy cottages and B%26amp;Bs you could rent in Bayfield (www.bayfield.org) and Ashland (www.visitashland.com). If you%26#39;re lucky, you also can visit the nearby ice caves.



My other recommendation would be Fitger%26#39;s Inn in Duluth, on Lake Superior, because under the same roof you%26#39;ve got an Aveda day spa, a dinner theater, a brewpub, a nightclub, restaurants and a lot of great shops. Plus a view of Lake Superior.



There are stories about all these things on my web site, www.MidwestWeekends.com. Enjoy the northwoods!

No comments:

Post a Comment