Monday, December 12, 2011

Restaurant recommendation

I have a slightly weird question. I have to fly into MSP next week and drive south to Rochester, via 55 E and 52 S. I%26#39;ll probably be getting into the airport around dinner time, so can anyone recommend a good restaurant that wouldn%26#39;t take me too far out of my way? It could be in Minneapolis proper or anywhere along the way to Rochester. (Preferably not at the Mall of America - I%26#39;m MoA%26#39;d out.)



Restaurant recommendation


Would you be interested in a good burger joint? We checked out House of Coates this fall (recommended by the local food guru) and were not disappointed. It%26#39;s a nice little bar right on the east side of Hwy 52 in Coates, MN. The 1/3 pounders are the real stars here, even if you can%26#39;t eat it all. The 1/2 pounders were not as interesting. Don%26#39;t order side dishes.





IF you%26#39;d like more upscale, Axels in Mendota is a great little institution. It%26#39;s a little north of I-494, but worth it.





There%26#39;s several places in Northfield, it%26#39;s slightly out of the way. Let me know if you%26#39;re interested in that. It%26#39;s likely to be prettied up for the holidays and is a nice pedestrian downtown.



Restaurant recommendation


I have a few favorites. First, if it%26#39;s just to find a bar%26amp;grill, I like the Champps on West 7th, about a mile from the airport. If I want a lighter meal, then it%26#39;s off to Cecil%26#39;s Deli in Highland Park. http://www.cecilsdeli.com/



Finally, I tried this place in Burnsville the last time I was in town - very good and not too far.



http://www.chiantigrill.com/




One of my favorite local pizza places, The Italian Pie Shoppe - http://www.italianpieshoppe.com/ - has a location right off of 35E %26amp; Yankee Doodle Rd. (Yes, Yankee Doodle Rod - whomever named the roads in Eagan was one weird dude!) Close to and easy to get to from the airport and gets you heading in the correct direction for your drive to Rochester.




Just to provide an alternate point of view here, I think that the restaurants at the airport represent some pretty popular names around town. Stop there and let your luggage wait for you! Unfortunately, I cannot personally recommendany though.





shopsatmsp.com/page/1/Full-Service-Restauran鈥?/a>




Sorry--I don%26#39;t know what happened to my link:







shopsatmsp.com/page/1/Full-Service-Restauran鈥?/a>





I stopped at the French Meadow Bakery Last week on the way into town and picked up a great chewy sandwich for the road.




Thanks for all the recommendations - I wound up flying between MSP and Rochester, and wasn%26#39;t very discriminating about where I ate after hauling butt between the A and G concourses. I%26#39;ll try and check some of them out next time I%26#39;m in Minneapolis for business.

No comments:

Post a Comment