Monday, December 12, 2011

Hotel recomendation

planning to go to the Vikings game on the 28th I%26#39;m looking for a 1/2 decent hotel that has easy transportation to and from the stadium. I don%26#39;t need 5 star but I also don%26#39;t want a dive.



Thanks



Hotel recomendation


What%26#39;s your budget and how long will you be staying. Is it important to have nightlife nearby (and of so what age range?)





Options I see are Best Western Normandy Inn (walkable to the Dome -- depending on how cold it is) -- a budget option.





Slightly spendier is the Holiday Inn Metrodome -- which is not walkable but often used because of the cheap taxi fare from there (not sure whether they have a shuttle but I would think they would). Nightlife and dining options are more limited here than if you stayed downtown.





Most of the hotels downtown (Radisson, Mariott City Center, Marquette, etc) have access to the light rail line to take you down there. Depending on the hotel, there is not-too-bad walk to the station on Nicollet Mall and then it%26#39;s the second stop down (make sure to take in direction of Mall of America) to the Dome. Or a taxi is $7 tops.



Hotel recomendation


my friends usually have luck with priceline 4star and get the Hyatt or Milennium downtown on Nicollet Mall - sometimes they go for $59 - $79.





otherwise try Holiday Inn Express or the Normandy Inn.





I just checked Expedia - and the Crowne Plaza downtown is going for $69 for 12/28 - I%26#39;d nab that - nice hotel and you can walk to the MetroDome




First a disclaimer...in another life not so terribly long ago, I worked in the Sales Dept. of this hotel. I no longer have a personal financial interest in this hotel, but do have friends who continue to work there.





That said, I would suggest checking out Holiday Inn Metrodome. MNtoathens said it was not within walking distance. I would respectfully disagree, under the caveat of whatever you might call walking distance. I personally walked it for Twins games and it is about a 15 minute walk (though a lot easier to walk in June, July, August as opposed to December/January). I personally did not find it a problem and does have sidewalks all the way there. That said, they did have shuttle service for games if you didn%26#39;t want to walk, and also did pickups after the game. You might want to call to confirm as my understanding is they were making changes to what service they would provide (and, had I still been in the Sales Dept, would have argued strongly against). Hotel received a near floor-to-ceiling renovation of rooms in 2007, so generally a good product, though I know it%26#39;s received a few bad reviews lately. Be sure to look at overall trends for reviews, not only a specific one.





Nightlife within walking distance to the hotel will be more along the lines of bars that would cater somewhat more to the college crowd being on the West Bank of the U of M campus. That said, if you%26#39;re older than that you won%26#39;t feel entirely out of place - especially if there during games. You should see plenty of purple of various ages. However, if you want specifically nightclubs, you%26#39;ll likely be looking at about a $10 cab ride to the core of downtown.





One advantage if you are driving is easier access to the hotel from I-35W than core downtown hotels, though not much better parking. You will pay for parking, but no more than any other hotel downtown.





Beyond HI Metrodome, the other hotels suggested by other posters would all make for good alternatives to look into, all depending on budget and what you want to be immediately near.




Another option would be to stay at one of the hotels out by the Mall of America or the airport. If they have a shuttle to either the Mall or the airport, you could take the light rail to the Metrodome for the game; it stops right out front.




You pegged me right, wouldbeworldtraveler.





To me, it%26#39;s walking distance in June. In July, I%26#39;d spring for the $5 cab. If it%26#39;s zero degrees, take the taxi, I say. That%26#39;s a pretty sizable walk outside that time of year when a taxi is so cheap. And if you walk, then you%26#39;ll be pretty chilly when you arrive and want to hang out outside on the promenade where they sell the beer pregame.





By the way, I%26#39;ll be at the game. I%26#39;ll start the tailgating at 6:30 as usual. Go Vikings.




mntoathens,





Point taken and understood! Despite being a lifelong Minnesotan, the cold gets to me a little more each winter. Especially if you have 3-4 people in a cab, it%26#39;s then $1-2 person, same as a tip to a shuttle driver from a hotel.





Yeah...while I%26#39;d easily walk the distance to see the Twins, probably even in playoffs and on to the World Series next fall for their closing season at the Dome (so the season ticket holder and little kid in me wants), but would almost certainly take a shuttle or taxi in January.




I just read my post. ';July'; should be December. Duh to me!




Lots of places within walking distance. Aloft is a couple blocks from Metrodome. I%26#39;ve been in the lobby/bar and it seems just like any other Aloft. Not sure if it sells out for games or not. A bit further west on Washington is The Depot which has both a Residence Inn and Renaissance Hotel along with a ice skating rink and water park.

No comments:

Post a Comment