Monday, December 12, 2011

Flying In Don't Want To Rent A Car

I%26#39;m going to fly in to MSP for an over nighter, and I want to see the MOA. First can the MOA be seen in one day? Is there a nice hotel, kind of upper end that will provide transportation from the airport and to the mall? Even better is there a hotel in the Mall that is nice? I just want this to be a nice easy trip where I can hide for the day with no stress and a little shopping.



Flying In Don't Want To Rent A Car


You could see the Mall in one day.



Print off a map in advance, and plot out the spots you want to hit, and make a plan.





The new lightrail line connects the airport to the mall - just four stops away.





Here%26#39;s a link -



metrotransit.org/rail/Hiawatha_map_freq.pdf





There are several hotels across the street from the Mall, but none IN the mall itself.





Country Inn %26amp; Suites at Mall of America



Homewood Suites - Mall of America





And more within a mile or two - several will offer transportation. Just do some legwork on what you want.



Flying In Don't Want To Rent A Car


No stress and shopping at MOA? Sounds like a challenge.





I probably like the MOA more than many regualar posters, so I think that it%26#39;ll be a good time. But as already suggested, you really do want to plan your trip. What%26#39;s here that you don%26#39;t have in vt?





And at the airport, you might have to ask for directions to the light rail stop. I know its there, but don%26#39;t recall ever seeing it. Then again, I%26#39;ve never been looking for it.





Finally, one of my complaints with MOA is that it seems to be counterintuitive getting from one level to another. It seems to be easier on the corners than on the sides.




I would echo what has been said already (with the exception of liking the mall that is, because it%26#39;s not my favorite place, but that%26#39;s not very constructive).





Getting from baggage claim to the light rail should be better signed (look for ';light rail'; or ';LRT'; or ';Hiawatha Line'; or Metro Transit signs) but the signs are there (just not always where they should be). If you%26#39;re not in a rush, it shouldn%26#39;t be a problem finding it or even asking at one of the many info booths. You buy your ticket at a vending machine before you board. It%26#39;s good for 2 hours.





The ride will be 15 minutes TOPS, probably less. It lets you off near the parking area.





I would suggest you stay at one of the aforementioned hotels mentioned earlier because they are closest to the mall -- right across the street. Then you won%26#39;t have to bother with a shuttle and you%26#39;re not waiting for anyone. I have heard good reviews of both hotels though I%26#39;ve never stayed.





If you go to MOA%26#39;s Web page you can find a list of retailers. If there are places you know you absolutely MUST get to, you%26#39;ll need a plan to hit them all in a logical pattern or you%26#39;ll back track a lot. I%26#39;d hit those spots first off and then spend the rest of the time wandering and walking into whatever looks interesting. Maybe I%26#39;ve been to the mall too much (from having lived near there earlier in life and even attending opening day) that I don%26#39;t find it interesting any more but I hear from enough people who loved their stay and who told me the best part was just wandering and taking in the enormity.





And I agree with RIKKASDAD about the layout of the escalators. It%26#39;s maddening at times -- even for someone who ahs been to the mall as much as I have.





Good luck!




Thank for the help. I know it may seem silly to make a mall into a relaxing trip, but we have nothing like it in Vermont. Chain store and resturants are very exciting to people who%26#39;ve never had the chance to vist one.





Is it easy to cross the street to these hotels? I%26#39;ll admit that trafic makes me nervious.




Yes, it%26#39;s easy. It is a pretty busy road, but you can cross at the stoplight/crosswalk.





I hope I didn%26#39;t come across as judgmental by wieghing in with my opinion of the mall (I should keep some things to myself sometimes).




There%26#39;s an IKEA across the street too.





Maybe make it a two-nighter trip.





There is a Raddison Hotel kitty-corner from the north west corner on the other side of the mall, but it%26#39;s across highway 77.





They offer free shuttle to mall %26amp; airport.





http://www.radisson.com/hotels/mnblmmal





But they also have a spa on the second floor.



Maybe pre-arrange for some treatments before you leave.





http://www.spatrillium.com/





There is an attached waterpark. Ask for room as far away from the waterpark, noise, %26amp; commotion.




First, to answer your questions, many hotels offer shuttle service to/from the airport, and some even offer shuttle service to/from the Mall on a regular schedule or call-in.



The more upscale hotels in the area include the Marriott, the Hilton, and I think there is a Crowne Plaza (check reviews). I%26#39;ve personally stayed at the Marriott a lot. It is across the street from IKEA and a big parking lot away from the mall; but they have a mall shuttle, too.




I would recommend staying downtown rather than at any of the hotels right next to the MOA. Why?





Three main reasons:





1. You mentioned that you were looking for an upper-end hotel. The hotels around the MOA are typical chains, not really upper-end. The selection downtown is much more varied.





2. You said that you wanted easy transportation, and that you disliked crossing really busy streets. To take the light rail from the airport to the mall is fine, but from the airport to a hotel near the mall- not so much. You would have to take your suitcases with you through the mall and then across any of the major thoroughfares, practically highways that surround the mall. Were you to stay downtown however, you could get off the light rail within a block or two of your hotel.





3. Staying downtown will offer you access to a lot more activities. The mall is generally pretty quiet/empty after 10 PM or so. Downtown you would have an endless selection of restaurants, bars, and clubs. Not to mention that you would actually get to see Minneapolis, rather than come to visit Minneapolis and not actually even enter the city limits.




If you are looking for a stress free trip to MOA, I would stay near the mall. MOA is right by the airport as could your hotel be, which would help to provide a stress free/relaxing vacation. As far as upscale, there are a few great choices by MOA. My top picks would be Embassy Suites Airport (I%26#39;ve always had good service here and it is my favorite Embassy in the Cities) or the Radisson. The Radisson is a new, with upscale furnishings and is a beautiful hotel. I%26#39;ve walked from the Radisson, but I take the shuttle when I stay at the Embassy. It sounds like you will be having a quick trip - another reason why I would stay right by MOA. The MOA has plenty to do without venturing outside the immediate mall/airport area.

No comments:

Post a Comment