Monday, December 12, 2011

Flying into Minneapolis

I am flying to Chile from Winnipeg connecting through to Minneapolis and Miami. As a Canadian citizen do I have to have a written declaration of what%26#39;s in my luggage when I go through American customs in Winnipeg??



Flying into Minneapolis


Excellent question and congrats for what should be a great trip. To be honest, I don%26#39;t know the answer, but suggest a few websites to check out:





Of course, contact the airline you%26#39;re flying. They should be able to offer some information.





Also look up the US Department of State website. I can%26#39;t guarantee it will be immensely helpful, but shouldn%26#39;t hurt either. http://travel.state.gov/. It%26#39;s obviously geared towards US citizens, but you%26#39;d think you could do some research on the website. Perhaps there%26#39;s a Canadian counterpart website?





From my most recent travels and what I heard of non-US citizens passing through the States, plan on plenty of time and patience through US Customs (perhaps as much as 2-3 hours for a non-citizen, your airline may have other information). Always be polite (honey catches more flies than vinegar) and my experience is always let Customs agents ask the questions - don%26#39;t offer more information than is asked for (but offer the info requested). Even as a US citzen, I always started with a pleasant ';hello'; and offered my passport and card from the airline when coming home, but nothing more. I waited for the agent to ask me questions. Usually, I was moved through with little questioning (though did have to have a box of souvenirs from Nicaragua re-inspected in Miami one time).





In any case, it certainly can%26#39;t hurt to have a handy list of what%26#39;s in your luggage, if requested. If nothing else, you should be able to at least show you%26#39;re trying to act in good faith with Customs agents.





I hope my suggestions are of at least some help...



Flying into Minneapolis


when I%26#39;ve flown Toronto to Minnneapolis, I%26#39;ve never had to have written declaration for my packed belongings.





Only when I%26#39;ve purchased a bunch of stuff and want to declare items over the limit to pay duty.




Wow...even the US Customs web site does not have an FAQ about international in-transit customs process. But from many other sites (like these: businessdirect.co.nz/before-you-fly/internat… and foreignborn.com/visas_imm/entering_us/3custo… ) it appears that no, you do not need to make any specific declaration when transiting immediately from your home country. Transiting from Chile back to Canada would be a whole different thing. In the second link note in particular the sections on Personal Exemptions and the Transit question with regard to dutiable posessions (mainly relating to alcohol and tobacco).





But given that the originating flight is the home country and with documentation (ticket) of on-going travel at most you would just say or check mark the ';I have nothing to declare'; option. On the other hand for any high value items (computer, cameras, video recorders, etc...) it would be extremely useful to have copies of receipts showing purchase prior to leaving Canada for the return trip....both for U.S. Customs as well as in Canada.





So in short the only written declaration might be for alcohol or tobacco if it exceeds the in-transit exemption.

No comments:

Post a Comment