Saturday, April 3, 2010

Amtrak

I am hoping to get some help or your ideas on the Amtrak station at Minneapolis/St Paul. My family (from Iowa) wants to take the train to Montana over spring break (week of March 15, 2009) does anyone know if there is a place to leave our cars for the week. I know there is at the airport, but I don%26#39;t know about the train station. Any help would be appreciated.





Thanks.



Amtrak


I%26#39;ve been to that station a few times. I think there%26#39;s some spots for cars to park, but I wouldn%26#39;t park my car there for an extended period of time.





I%26#39;m sure the station has some recommendations of parking close by. I didn%26#39;t find a local number, but the service line could probably tell you what it is.





800-USA-RAIL



Amtrak


I also believe there is an area to park vehicles, and may or may not agree with my fellow poster on the advisability of leaving a car there for an extended period of time. The Amtrak station in St. Paul/Minneapolis is in a fairly industrial/commercial area. There are worse areas to leave your car safety wise, though also not the absolute best. If you do choose to leave your car, keep in mind I would expect somewhat minimal patrolling and I would make sure I did not leave any valuables in the car. Keep it pretty ';barebones'; in the car.





The lots by the airport would be in a better neighborhood and probably more patrolled, though of course a crafty thief would know cars being left there are being left for extended periods of time. It will also be more expensive to leave a car there. You may consider either parking there and spending the $25-30 cab ride to the Amtrak station, or parking near the airport and using the Light Rail Train to downtown Minneapolis. You%26#39;d still then need a cab, though would likely reduce the expenditure to about $10-15. I realize, though, with luggage, saving $5-10 may not be worth the hassle of lugging around bags all over.





Also, have you ever considered checking into ';park and fly'; hotels (or, in your case, ';park and rail';...). Some hotels let you park a car for a period of time if you stay with them one night. These typically are near the airport and being in a hotel parking lot may be some compromise between cost of a patrolled lot and yet still offer some security.




I%26#39;ve taken the train from St. Paul and left my car at the lot there for several days at a time with no problem at all. I don%26#39;t know what patrols are like, but I know a lot of customers leave their cars. Parking is free if you have a train ticket...just get a card for your dashboard from the ticket desk.





If you%26#39;ve got a nice car that would stand out in this lot, maybe go with the airport.




As stated it is fairly industrial (I used to work across the street at Remmele Engineering) but in between the two trains a day trains it can be pretty dead around there. Bigger risk would be around 2-3am, after the westbound and before the eastbound train when it is dark. But bigger ';risk'; is relative. Chances are good everything would be fine. Try to park in the main lot directly in front of the station and not in the side lot to the left (facing station) so station personnel might be more visible. There are usually several taxis sitting there from about 2 hours before a train until an hour after. On busy days the pickup/dropoff traffic can completely fill all the parking so it can be a busy place. Arrive by 8-9pm or so for the best choice in spots.

No comments:

Post a Comment