Thursday, April 8, 2010

Winter get away

Want to give son a short vacation somewhere warm for his 38th birthday. Can%26#39;t spend too much as I am retired and half my retirement funds have disappeared! He%26#39;s never been married so a singles type thing is o.k. Is there anyplace in particular that people from the Minneapolis area tend to go to get warm and have fun in winter. Thanks in advance.





Karen



Winter get away


direct flights from Minneapolis to Cancun / Playa del Carmen





good package deals available for all-inclusives



Winter get away


Hmmm...I%26#39;m 37 and thinking I want to be somewhere warm right now too! That said, a warm place I might find interesting and fun may not be your sons scene (or vice versa). That said, you might check out www.suncountry.com. Sun Country Airlines is primarily a charter type airline. They made some of their name here in Minneapolis on flying to warm locations, and tried to be a lower cost airline in comparison to big boy Northwest Airlines (which, ironically enough, is well on its way to being gobbled up by Delta). Perhaps their locations can give you some inspiration.




Ocean? Desert? Resort? Golf? Tennis? Bar scene? If you could provide a glimpse into his interests it would help.




Sully does make a good point, though I think you were trying to ask if there%26#39;s a place that people from the Twin Cities have generally found to go in the wintertime to escape the cold - which is a big question with so many people and so many varied interests. Another idea generally, though, would be if your son is a baseball fan. You could send him down to Florida for Twins Spring Training (or to the spring training of any baseball team, I suppose... That would also open up the possibility of AZ)




I would look at the charters out of the cities - worryfreetravel.com, hobbittravel.com and applevacations.com. Those are the most popular destinations since they have seasonal packages.





Mexico would probably be the most popular and cheapest along with Florida.




I always book a trip to Mexico from the Red Hot Deals at www.worryfreevacations.com. If you sign up for their e-mail, it%26#39;ll come every Monday around 5 p.m., and you can book from midnight on. Unless you%26#39;re going during spring break, you ought to be able to get air and hotel for $650 per person, including $100 in taxes. That%26#39;s what I paid for a week in Mazatlan (Hotel Playa Mazatlan) and Cozumel (Casa Mexicana), though now I go to Puerto Vallarta and stay at B%26amp;Bs (also have stayed at a B%26amp;B in Cozumel, $45 at the time). Isla Mujeres near Cancun would be nice, too, and has inexpensive little beach hotels.



We get great charter deals out of the Twin Cities in winter -- my sister lives in Florida and has to pay much more to fly to Mexico and the Caribbean!




You are all so kind to take the time to post suggestions. The reason I would like to send my son somewhere is that he doesn%26#39;t go out much, never has. In my opinion he spends too much time playing computer games. You are right about needing more info about him. He%26#39;s not into sports, ( but plays Frisbee golf), not particularly a beach person. Likes to read. He enjoyed a family trip to Tanzania last October, was a very good traveling companion, real easy going, never complains, very polite and accommodating. The thing is that left to his own devices he%26#39;s content to just stay home but once out somewhere he likes it. My last visit in May we went to the North Shore of Lake Superior with stops at a few parks and he really had a good time.(Thank you Downtown Minneapolis for your suggestions back then!!) He just doesn%26#39;t take the initiative to do something, thus my birthday gift. As far as all inclusive package deals, any particular sites I should check out? Thank you again for your help, I appreciate it.





Karen




After the weather this week, definitely somewhere warm. Others have mentioned, this is the time of year to find a ticket out of here. It would also appear the flights to Florida are also pretty reasonable at this time.



tptr




Posted before I checked if there were more responses. Will check out the sites mentioned. I hate the winter, don%26#39;t do winter sports tho my husband bought me second hand ski equiptment as our mountain community has skiing as part of our amenities. Maybe I want to send my son somewhere warm so my husband and I can join him!!! Thank you all so very much.





Karen




Karen,





You mention your son likes to read. Perhaps an interesting idea would be to get the book ';1000 Places To See Before You Die';, and then send him to one of the 1000 places. Check out the other websites and see if one matches? You%26#39;ll then just have to make sure he goes and actually SEES the live place and not just read about it. Just a thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment