Saturday, April 3, 2010

Lutsen/Tofte versus Grand Marais?

I have read different recommendations in the Minnesota forums including some suggestion directly to me. However, I have also seen that these towns are 20-30 minutes apart. I keep thinking that if we drive to the border, or drive the Gunflint for a day(which is a plan) that it would be better to stay in Grand Marais. But, is that true? Also, in terms of the towns themselves, which do you feel have more restaurants and activities to do?



Lutsen/Tofte versus Grand Marais?


I think it depends on what you like to do and when you are going. Can you offer more information?





I personally like Grand Marais 3 seasons of the year for an all-around North Shore experience. However, when I want to ski or enjoy snow sports, I head to the Lutsen area in the winter.



Lutsen/Tofte versus Grand Marais?


creason, we will be visiting in July. We plan to mainly do sight-seeing by driving up to the border. Want to drive at least part of the gunflint trail.




I stay each fall in Tofte for 5 or 6 nights. I%26#39;m mainly up to hike the trails and catch the views.





There%26#39;s isn%26#39;t much of a %26#39;downtown%26#39; to Lutsen/Tofte, but I like it cuz it%26#39;s right on the lake, and there%26#39;s not a bunch of people. You can stay at BlueFin Bay, or the AmericInn as for Tofte, and a few other choices for Lutsen.





I stay in Tofte since I want the ';get away from it all feel';.





I do head into Grand Marias for one of the days for Artists Point, a few shops, and restaurants.





Try eating in BlueFin Bay, and the restaurant near the Cascade Lodge (1/2 way to Grand Marais).





If you%26#39;re up for some awesome hikes, I can give you some tips.




Sure, what are some of the tips? Plus, what you are saying even though we are going to Gunflint,driving to the border, etc. stay in Tofte/Lutsen and not in Grand Marais, right?




Grand Marais is actually a town compared to Tofte/Lutsen. They are very close together. I would stay in Grand Marais. I would plan on staying a night or two at a place on the Gunflint trail. I think staying on a lake and canoeing, swimming, and fishing would be an excellent thing to do in July.




Thanks for the detail. I would stay in GM if you%26#39;d like to explore the Gunflint Trail. It%26#39;s a great small town with lots of character and excellent restaurants, things to do/explore.





However, I would also take my time checking out areas outside of GM because they have some of our best state parks. I%26#39;d see as much of the North Shore as you can without wearing yourselves out.





And bring the bug spray, that%26#39;s high season if it%26#39;s been rainy.




Downtown, can you provide the tips you mentioned regarding the hikes?




Here are some great hikes -





Temperence River - walk up trail, north side of the river, for at least 20 / 30 min. You get to a point where the river is mild rapids, and it feels like Montana. If you keep taking the trail, you%26#39;ll hit Carleton Peak. (it%26#39;s part of state park, but park at the wayside rest and there%26#39;s no charge to park)





Oberg Loop - 5 miles north of Tofte - Onion River Road - drive 5 miles past Tofte and turn left on a small road, then drive a few miles up that road to the parking lot. there%26#39;s two hikes, Oberg Loop with it%26#39;s seven scenic vistas, on one side, and the Leveaux Trail on the other. Oberg Loop is my favourate of the two





Eagle Mountain - highest point in MN. It%26#39;s a fun, secluded hike. 20 mile drive instate from Grand Marais. Easy hike til the last 1/6th, then it%26#39;s up up up - but great views from the top. Look for the plaque in the stone indicating highest point in the state





Judge C Magney state park - walk the trail til you see the Devil%26#39;s Kettle .. worth it, but there%26#39;s ALOT of steps / staircases to get to





State Park at the border - Grand Portage State Park / Pigeon River. Easy walk to see the highest falls in the state, and the divider between MN / Canada. But venture to the middle falls. Fun / secluded hike. Never run into anyone else, and great river views of the rapids at the middle falls.





Another notable, is the Mt. Josephine hike, very close to the border too.





Near Grand Marais is also the Devil%26#39;s Track Canyon hike - deepest canyon in the state.




Downtown, you really are super. You have given some good advice on a couple threads and it is much appreciated. We definitely will do some or all these hikes you recommended. But, with time considerations, and who knows about weather in the summer, etc., if you were to pick out of that list those that are shorter duration or you just can%26#39;t miss, which would they be (or maybe they are all them :)). I am guessing that big falls on the border sounds like a definite though.




I always go last weekend in Oct for 5 or 6 nights hiking trip, so I just dress in layers.





I wouldn%26#39;t miss the Oberg Loop - awesome. Maybe pack a bottle of wine and some glasses, cuz there%26#39;s one of the vistas that it flat stone and a bench - and great view of the lake.





The Grand Portage high falls would take 20 min to see at a minimum. Very short PAVED walk to the high falls.. very impressive.





I%26#39;m a real sucker for the Temperence River falls.. I love getting to the point where you feel like your in the big skies of Montana. There%26#39;s some great gourge views before then.





Let me know if you want to see pics from my past hikes - I can get you links.


  • cheap cosmetics
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment