Saturday, April 3, 2010

Tourist in home town

I was born and raised in the subarbs of Minneapolis. I moved to southern california a couple of years ago so my husband can finish school. My husband and I go back ';home'; every 6 months or so sometimes for no other reason than to breath fresh air and destress. Every time we come back we stay with family. We are planning on going back in September (Labor day weekend) for my cousins wedding unfortunalty we can%26#39;t stay with family this time.





We are kinda excited to play tourist in our hometown but can%26#39;t figure out what to do. I feel like ';been there done that';. Whats new within the last year that is fun to do? We go to the theather, musuems, walk/bike around parks. Not big foodies. We have done many day trips.





Also we are split on whether we should stay in the subarbs or downtown. Half our family is in Minnetonka and the other half is in New Brighton. I was thinking of staying downtown just for something new and central(I know I would have to pay for parking).





Any help would be appreciated.



Tourist in home town


consider one of the newer hotels



W



Chambers



Westin



Ivy





or even the Nicollet Island Inn



I think it%26#39;s free parking there





check out a few new things -



the new Guthrie %26amp; observation ledge



Mill City Park next door



and the new Water Power Park





http://www.waterpowerpark.com/





Maybe paddleboat ride on the river, a night at Nye%26#39;s, and catch Erin Schwab perform





travelandleisure.com/cityguides/minneapolis-鈥?/a>





http://www.hennepintheatredistrict.org/





http://www.minneapolis-riverfront.com/





twincitiesdiningguide.com/pages/minneapolis_鈥?/a>





http://www.erinschwab.com/



Tourist in home town


Well, the one thing that is certainly new is the string of new hotels. And to me, nothing plays into tourist in the hometown quite like staying in a hotel (when you%26#39;re used to staying with friends or relatives). If you can afford it, check out one of the new hotels -- W in the Foshay, for example. And others mentioned by DowntownMinneapolis.





I%26#39;ll try to think more on the activities. But I will say I%26#39;ve lived in Minneapolis for years and I%26#39;m always finding something I haven%26#39;t done. I%26#39;ll think on it.




If the weather is nice and the schedule cooperates try a St. Paul Saints basbell game (%26amp; party).





Or even if not Swedish check out the American Swedish Institute. Cool old building and lots of the local Scandanavian influence that permeates MN.



www.americanswedishinst.org/ASI/Home.html





Out and about a bit check out Stillwater. Or closer in check out the changes on the U of M campus and browse Dinkytown.





If never done it before ride the Hiawatha light rail to MOA and back.




Have you been to Midtown Global Market? I love it there and can pass a few hours shopping and snacking.





My new favorite museum is The Museum of Russian Art in South Minneapolis. Amazing. The building is beautiful and the art is interesting.





The Bakken electricity museum? I actually have never been but hear it is wonderful.





Have you been to Franconia Sculpture Park? It is my favorite day trip- a fabulous oasis near Taylor%26#39;s Falls. It is worth a trip- and since it is open every day, a good activity on a holiday weekend.





Those are my off-the-wall ideas of things that are relatively new and not on the normal schedule of a Twin Cities visit.




Thank you for all your suggestions.





I haven%26#39;t been to a Saints game in forever but thier schedule doesn%26#39;t extend into Sept.





Is the Midtown Global Market right off the Light rail? I remember last summer going to a really cool farmers market that was right off the light rail. I%26#39;ve been to a couple of mexican resturants and Ingebretsen on Lake Street is the Midtown Global market near there?





The Franconia Sculpture Park looks cool also and it has been long time since I went to Taylor%26#39;s Falls.





I booked a room at the W but am hoping the price will come down before we go. I am pretty excited to stay downtown.





Thanks again




Midtown Global Market is at Lake and 10th and is an indoor market. Shops, stands, food, art.





Don%26#39;t forget the State Fair goes through Labor Day as well. Not everyone%26#39;s cup of tea, but if you like the fair you don%26#39;t want to miss it.




No, Midtown Global Market is not reachable by walking from the Lake Street light rail station. But there is a connecting bus to take you from Lake Street station down Lake Street to 10th.





Coincidentally, the farmer%26#39;s market I assume you meant is the Midtown Farmer%26#39;s Market, across from the Midtown YWCA. That%26#39;s the same stop -- Lake Street. And it is easy walking distance to the farmer%26#39;s market.





You could always grab some snacks and head to the park (Minnehaha) for a picnic. Or just go and have a nice outdoor lunch at Sea Salt near the falls.




There is also a farmer%26#39;s market on Saturday mornings a short walk from the Metrodome/Downtown East lightrail stop: the Mill City Farmer%26#39;s market, right between the Mill City Museum and the Guthrie. Perhaps that is the one you were thinking of.



I%26#39;ve actually been looking at downtown hotels for a night a few weeks earlier than your stay, and I%26#39;ve found some good rates at the Westin (using my AAA card to get a better rate). I also found some pretty good prices at the Graves 601. Both places were less than the Chambers, although you can%26#39;t go wrong at the Chambers; the rooms are great. The rooms at the Ivy are also VERY nice, and the restaurant there (Porter %26amp; Frye) is marvelous. If you are a little more budget minded, the new Aloft Hotel on Washington Avenue by the Guthrie has great rates for mid-August, so I assume Labor Day weekend wouldn%26#39;t be too bad.



I would strongly urge you to stay downtown as opposed to a suburban hotel.


  • cheap cosmetics
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment