Thursday, April 1, 2010

Where to propose marriage Downtown MPLS...UPDATE

Thanks for the good tips. Looks like the carriage ride over the stone arch bridge will work. Now...two more questions....





#1 Which hotel to spend the evening, one of these 3:



Chambers



Graves 601 Hotel



The W Foshay



Looking for a better than average room for $300 or less.





#2 Which restaurant within close proximity (carriage will drop us off) to these hotels for a romantic dinner??





Thanks again for all you advice



Where to propose marriage Downtown MPLS...UPDATE


All three of those should impress. If I were choosing (and had that budget!) I%26#39;d do the Graves. I don%26#39;t know what other things you have planned, so don%26#39;t know whether location plays a role in the decision. Are you guys going to any bars for example?





Also, what kind of food do you like? Or better: what kind of food does SHE like?



Where to propose marriage Downtown MPLS...UPDATE


Well after dinner I think we would probably want to have a few after dinner cocktails and enjoy some privacy. We both have spent plenty of time downtown and I don%26#39;t think Bars are going to be a priority, except maybe the bar in the hotel.





As far as dinner, we are both laid back and she is very easy to please. Which makes me want to eat somewhere special, but avoid thigs like: 7 coures meals, french menus, anything that is so fancy that it comes off arrogant.





Also I just found out I will be able to bump the budget on the hotel up to about $500. Is there anything worth spending that much??




I would go with the W





it%26#39;s the newest location, and just buzzing with people %26amp; energy.





the lobby bar is big and usually full on Fri %26amp; Sat nights, and it%26#39;s attached to Manny%26#39;s Steak House.





There%26#39;s also a bar up on 27th floor - check that out.





If you are staying at the W, you can go up for free to the observation deck. Very nice.




Well, one of the most consistently highly rated hotels downtown is Cosmos at the Graves. It%26#39;s spendy but the place is gorgeous. Food is highly rated but sadly my budget has kept me from trying it myself. (I have been in it, though. Beautiful place)





Don%26#39;t let the restaurant (if you choose that one) tie you to a hotel choice. Make sure you look into Graves and the W. Both have rooms to blow your mid at your budget. For example,at the Graves (a room I believe fits your budget):





';The executive level whirlpool room is 450 square feet. The room features a king bed on our executive level floors, a whirlpool tub with TV, glass and stone rain s hower, custom mattress with frette linens, Egyptian cotton sheets, etched glass headboard, 42 inch plasma TV, DVD, higher speed internet and ambient lighting.';





At the W, they have some seriously decked out luxury rooms. Something called the W Super Fantastic Wow Suite or something weird like that. But it has a oversized soaking tub with bubble jets, plasma TV, king bed and gorgeous decor.





So check those two out. Obviously you could dine at Cosmos and stay at the W.





The W does have Manny%26#39;s. I%26#39;m more a fan of Murray%26#39;s for steak, though.





But the W%26#39;s two bars are probably the two most popular nightlife spots for a cocktail, and surprisingly reasonably priced. That could be your nightcap spot. (Although I believe some of the top-rated rooms have a wet bar. AND the bubble tub, so ....)




I mean that Cosmos is one of the highest-rated restaurants downtown, not hotels. It%26#39;s the resto in the Graves.




I%26#39;m really close to making a reservation at Cosmos as there are some decent reviews on the web. I have a friend at work that went there 3 years ago for New Years and was not impressed.... Any other opinions? I%26#39;ve had people say that I should be considering Chambers Kitchen, The Oceanaire, Mannys....




I%26#39;d consider Sanctuary as well. It%26#39;s smaller than places like Oceanaire and Manny%26#39;s, which means it%26#39;s quieter and more intimate. I had a nice meal there and a nice cocktail at the small bar toward the back. Granted, I was there in a blizzard so the place wasn%26#39;t packed, but it was a nice atmosphere that allowed us to talk.





I%26#39;d look at some pix and reviews of all the places you have on your list. Make sure the place has the right atmosphere.




Out of those choices, I would stay at the W Foshay, or also consider the Marquette.





I can%26#39;t say that Cosmos is romantic, although it%26#39;s gotten great reviews. Here are my recommendations from a woman%26#39;s point of view: Solera or Vincent.





Best wishes for a truly special evening




I like The W. I heard their restaurant is great!





For romance and good food I also like The King and I for dinner or for late night drinks.




We ate at Cosmos once a few years back.





My opinion, and my opinion only - overpriced, tiny portions, and the place was deserted.





The attached bar is fun %26amp; hip and gets crowded on the weekend, but I decided never to eat there again.





How about Belanotte? Or Seven (steakhouse downstairs / sushi ultralounge upstairs)? or the Manny%26#39;s Steakhouse inside the W ?





http://www.bellanottempls.com/





http://www.7steakhouse.com/



http://www.7mpls.com/





http://www.mannyssteakhouse.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment