Saturday, April 3, 2010

No where good to eat in Rochester MN?????

I will be going to Rochester in July and looked at the dining reviews, they are dismal. Any recommendations?



No where good to eat in Rochester MN?????


The best place we%26#39;ve eaten in Rochester is the Lord Essex at the Kahler Grand Hotel. Very small and cozy but the food is excellent and offerings vary. They have World Tour deal going where every few weeks they feature a different country with 3-4 items plus options for wine or beer flights. We ate there this past Monday and the country was Brazil. But the regular menu is also excelent.



kahler.com/grand/…20menu.pdf





Service is friendly and prompt BUT mostly older so SPEAK UP to be sure you get what you ordered. Also check the bill because they might confuse an item or leave things off. But they fo work hard to please.



No where good to eat in Rochester MN?????


The options are slightly limited in Rochester, to say the least. My favorite places are City Cafe and the Redwood Room. The City Cafe has a lot of fish on the menu, but selections from the typical beef/pork/chicken/vegetarian selections as well. I wouldn%26#39;t go too late at night as they tend to sell out of items. The Redwood Room is in the basement of an old building, with local musicians playing nightly. Good gourmet pizzas along with selections somewhat similar to the above, without all the fish.





Sontes is another option, a somewhat recently opened wine %26amp; tapas bar in the downtown area. I%26#39;ve only been once and it was okay, I%26#39;ve been to better tapas bars that are less expensive.





Other than that, it%26#39;s one chain restaurant after another!




you might want to try prescott%26#39;s. Not a chain and they are doing some nice things. Great cheap and moderate wine choices to compliment some good food. Great service. Menu changes seasonally.





Located at crossroads shopping mall (admittedly odd location) about a mile south of the downtown area.




Another vote for the Redwood Room. One of the very few unique, chef driven, options in town. My favorite restaurant in Rochester.





Zorba%26#39;s Greek is a family run restaurant with an expected menu.




If you like BBQ, try John Hardy%26#39;s in addition to/as an alternative to Roscoe%26#39;s. If we%26#39;re in town, we stop at John Hardy%26#39;s.





John Hardy%26#39;s Bar-B-Q



929 (Highway 52) Frontage Road W., Rochester; (507) 288-3936



Hours: Monday-Thursday 11:00 a.m.-9:00 p.m.; Friday-Saturday 11:00 a.m.-10:00 p.m.; Sunday 11:30 a.m.-9:30 p.m.





An article about both Roscoe%26#39;s and JH%26#39;s (dated, but from a restaurant critic): citypages.com/databank/…article8918.asp




There are all KINDS of good places to eat in Rochester.




It appears you live in Rochester - - would you please offer a few suggestions? Perhaps it might first help to clarify what people consider %26#39;good%26#39; places to eat. I won%26#39;t deny that I eat at chain restaurants, but if given a choice, would much rather spend my money at a small, independently run kitchen with a fabulous chef or cook.





With that said, could you offer recommendations for some good places to eat? Maybe an authentic mexican or asian restaurant? Is there a restaurant that uses locally raised meat and produce? How about a deli or specialty sandwich shop? My family will be visiting Mayo every other week for the next several months and I would really appreciate a local resident%26#39;s insight!












I%26#39;ve only lived in Rochester for a year, but I%26#39;ll make my suggestions.



For a takeout deli/ speciality sandwich shop, City Market is a fantastic choice. They have a great number of soups, salads, and sandwiches on the menu. The style? Perhaps I%26#39;d call it hearty California cuisine. (I recommend the roast beef and gouda with chipotle mayo). The location is great for someone visiting the mayo clinic, 212 First Ave SW. They are really just a lunch place, though, they aren%26#39;t open for dinner. The same people own a couple other great places though-- I%26#39;d recommend City Cafe (216 First Ave SW) for best place for dinner with friends, and the Redwood Room (300 First Ave NW), which would be my choice of ';where to take a date'; (live music many nights, but it%26#39;s soft, not a loud party sound).





Prescott%26#39;s would be my choice for fine dinner dining. They have a seasonal menu, using fresh foods. 1201 Broadway South.





If you aren%26#39;t on a diet, and like Italian food (veal, capers, calamari, artichoke hearts, etc), then Victoria%26#39;s is good, and extremely filling (meaning, the servings can be really big!). 7 First Ave SW.





Pub food- McGoon%26#39;s Pub and Restaurant, 7 Second St SW. Very close to the mayo clinic. They have a comedy club upstairs. Another good pub food choice is Whistle Binkies on the Lake (247 Woodlake Dr SE), and of course the outdoor patio seating is a plus there.





Place I%26#39;d take my 75 year old mother- Michaels. Not exactly hip, but food tasted good, and the service was great. (15 South Broadway)





I really don%26#39;t much like any of the chinese or mexican restaurants I%26#39;ve tried in this town. Some people like the Hunan Garden (1120 Seventh ST NW), but in my opinion it doesn%26#39;t compare to Chinese food found in major metropolitan areas like New York, San Francisco, (even) Minneapolis, etc. I think the lunch buffet at the Indian Garden is ok, but not spicy enough for me (1107 Broadway N). If anyone has a great ethnic restaurant they%26#39;d like to recommend, I%26#39;d love to hear it!




What a fantastic reply! THANK YOU!



I appreciate you providing the description of the fare as you did and also offering such an array of choices.



It%26#39;s people like you that make this site such a resource - thanks again!




Hi, my daughter lives in Rochester, and when I go to visit her, we always go to eat at the restaurant called ';Outback Steakhouse.'; You will be given a timer and told how long of a wait you%26#39;ll have. It is delicious!!!!!!!! You get a small loaf of hot just baked bread, there is chicken,burgers, steak, prime rib, wondeful appetizers. Just thinking about it makes me want to hop in the car and drive over there........... : ) I%26#39;ve never had anything I didn%26#39;t like...DELICIOUS. My favorite is the prime rib, melts in your mouth, she always orders the filet mignon. If we don%26#39;t have much time we love the mexican restaurant, DosAmigos..delicious mexican food if you like mexican. Never tried anything else, shes lived there 3 years and we always go to one of those places.

No comments:

Post a Comment